TOBY Application Process
2021 TOBY Application Season
Call for applications! The 2021 local TOBY award application season is now open. Please review the 2021 Entry Requirements (listed below), which outline the categories your building may enter. Applications must be submitted on the online TOBY portal by the deadline: September 23 by 5:00 p.m. CST.
To win the International TOBY award, you must first apply and win on the local and regional levels. You are more TOBY-ready than you think! And that is why we encourage you to apply for the local 2021 TOBY. This is your chance to showcase your expertise and excellence in property management. To enter the local TOBY awards competition, you must first pay the $300 entry fee directly to BOMA/Chicago. To pay this fee (via credit card or invoice), please log into the BOMA/Chicago website and then click here. You must pay the $300 fee to BOMA/Chicago before you submit your application.
Fun Fact: BOMA/Chicago Wins Time & Again!
For the past four years, every single local TOBY winner has also gone on to win the Regional competition. For the past five years, at least one BOMA/Chicago building has won an International TOBY. And in 2020, half of BOMA/Chicago's International finalists (four buildings) won the International award! This directly reflects the quality and strength of Chicago’s TOBY program and how we prepare the building teams to actually take home a TOBY! Click here to review the BOMA/Chicago TOBY winners dating back to 2010.
Application Information: Guidelines, FAQ & Entry Requirements
Please read through the below documents if you are interested in applying for a 2021 local TOBY award:
- 2021 TOBY Process Guidelines for instructions on applying, using the online portal and all important deadlines.
- TOBY FAQs and Best Practices featuring advice from seasoned TOBY judges and previous winners. This is a must read and full of excellent advice!
- The 2021 TOBY Entry Requirements for the category in which you will apply. Within these entry requirements, you will find all application information including word count, written sections, attachments and the required criteria that your building must meet. This year, the Entry Requirements are split up into separate documents.
- 2021 Entry Requirements for All Office (Includes: Square Feet Categories, Historical Building, Corporate Facility, Medical Office & Suburban)
- 2021 Earth Entry Requirements
- 2021 Renovated Entry Requirements
- 2021 Mixed Used & Public Assembly Entry Requirements
- 2021 Retail Entry Requirements
- 2021 Industrial Entry Requirements
TOBY Inspection Information Sheets & Verification Forms
Inspections will be held between October 12 and November 13. You will be
assigned your inspection date in early October; all buildings will be notified on the same day of when their inspection
is scheduled. All buildings will have at least one week to prepare for
the inspection. BOMA/Chicago suggests that you be prepared for an
inspection from the moment you submit your local TOBY application.
Due to COVID-19, only two judges will come to your building for the on-site inspection. We ask that you limit two of your own staff to meeting with the judges at any given time. Inspections will be held live, but in smaller groups.
Judges will not grade your inspection online. Judges will complete hard copies of the inspection sheets below. After the January 2021 Gala, BOMA/Chicago will send you the grades and comments from each judge. Click on your category to open your respective inspection sheet:
- 2021 All Office Inspection Form
- 2021 Earth Building Inspection Form
- 2021 Mixed Use Building Inspection Form
- 2021 Public Assembly Building Inspection Form
- 2021 Retail Building Inspection Form
- 2021 Industrial Building Inspection Form
Another form, besides the inspection and judging forms, will also be used this year – the TOBY Inspection Verification Form (listed below). Please review all of these forms before your inspection. You will only need to submit the Inspection Verification Form if you proceed to the regional/international competition. If you proceed to these levels, BOMA/Chicago will provide you with a signed Inspection Verification Form to attach to your regional/international application.
If you have any TOBY questions, please contact Jaclynne Madden, Director of Education, at email@example.com or (312) 870-9608.