TOBY Application Process
TOBY Application Season
The 2021 application season has closed. The application season for 2022 will open in July 2021.
Fun Fact: BOMA/Chicago Wins Time & Again!
For the past four years, every single local TOBY winner has also gone on to win the Regional competition. For the past five years, at least one BOMA/Chicago building has won an International TOBY. And in 2020, half of BOMA/Chicago's International finalists (four buildings) won the International award! This directly reflects the quality and strength of Chicago’s TOBY program and how we prepare the building teams to actually take home a TOBY! Click here to review the BOMA/Chicago TOBY winners dating back to 2010.
Application Information: Guidelines, FAQ & Entry Requirements
Please read through the below documents if you are interested in applying for a local TOBY award. Please note that this information and the documents below are for the 2021 TOBY season and may be updated/changed for future TOBY seasons.
- 2021 TOBY Process Guidelines for instructions on applying, using the online portal and all important deadlines.
- TOBY FAQs and Best Practices featuring advice from seasoned TOBY judges and previous winners. This is a must read and full of excellent advice!
- The 2021 TOBY Entry Requirements for the category in which you will apply. Within these entry requirements, you will find all application information including word count, written sections, attachments and the required criteria that your building must meet. This year, the Entry Requirements are split up into separate documents.
- 2021 Entry Requirements for All Office (Includes: Square Feet Categories, Historical Building, Corporate Facility, Medical Office & Suburban)
- 2021 Earth Entry Requirements
- 2021 Renovated Entry Requirements
- 2021 Mixed Used & Public Assembly Entry Requirements
- 2021 Retail Entry Requirements
- 2021 Industrial Entry Requirements
TOBY Inspection Information Sheets & Verification Forms
Below are the inspection documents for each TOBY category.
- 2021 All Office Inspection Form
- 2021 Earth Building Inspection Form
- 2021 Mixed Use Building Inspection Form
- 2021 Public Assembly Building Inspection Form
- 2021 Retail Building Inspection Form
- 2021 Industrial Building Inspection Form
Another form, besides the inspection and judging forms, will also be used this year – the TOBY Inspection Verification Form (listed below). Please review all of these forms before your inspection. You will only need to submit the Inspection Verification Form if you proceed to the regional/international competition. If you proceed to these levels, BOMA/Chicago will provide you with a signed Inspection Verification Form to attach to your regional/international application.
If you have any TOBY questions, please contact Jaclynne Madden, Director of Education, at email@example.com or (312) 870-9608.