Since 2009, BOMA/Chicago building members have ranked at the top for units of blood collected by LifeSource, Chicago's leading blood Center. A total of 2,453 pints of blood were collected in 2011. Multiply that number by 3, and the results are truly gratifying: A total of 7,359 lives were saved!
In 2013, let's work harder to help save lives by partnering with LifeSource.
On September 27, BOMA/Chicago was honored at the Lifesource Top 20 Donors luncheon for ranking third in the number of units of blood collected in 2012 at drives held by Member buidlings.
Paul Rades, BOMA/Chicago President Bob Six,
and Wally Kruce accepted the Top 20 Award
at the September 27 Luncheon.
Participation is simple
- Commit to hosting at least two blood drives at your building in 2012. The goal is to collect at least 30 units of blood at each drive.
- Provide adequate space and access within the building for LifeSource to set up and conduct the drives.
- Use the marketing materials (posters, flyers, fact sheets) provided by LifeSource and count on their knowledgeable staff to help promote the blood drive to tenants.
- Contact your tenants or allow LifeSource recruitment to do so, to encourage participation.
- Announcements of drives through local media.
- Appealing to company HR departments for tenant Health and Wellness.
- Recognition for annual top 10 building drives on the BOMA/Chicago and LifeSource websites.
- 60% of the population is eligible to donate blood, yet less than 3% in Chicagoland does.
- 90% of the population will need to use blood products in their lifetime.
- Every 2 seconds someone needs blood.
- LifeSource needs to register 1,500 donors every day in order to meet the needs to patients in Chicagoland.
Please contact Howard Knaizer, LifeSource Account Manager, at 847-224-4966 with questions or to add your building to the list of BOMA/Chicago buildings that support this program.